Van crashed into the crowd killing 13 people

  • The New York Times on Apple News. Download the NYTimes app. Your only source for daily breaking news. • The police were searching for the driver of a van who plowed into a busy pedestrian thoroughfare in Barcelona, Spain, on Thursday, intentionally targeting people in a terrorist attack claimed by the Islamic State. Thirteen people were killed, and scores were injured. • Hours later, the police fatally shot five suspects in the seaside town of Cambrils, 70 miles to the southwest. The suspects, who the police said were wearing vests with fake explosives, had driven an Audi A3 onto a sidewalk, killing one person and injuring six. What We Know What happened in Barcelona? Just before 6 p.m., a van jumped a curb and began speeding down the pedestrian walkway at the center of Barcelona’s most famous street, Las Ramblas, a tree-lined boulevard popular with locals and tourists. The van continued for 1,600 feet, leaving a trail of bloodied bodies in its wake. It came to a halt on top of a tile mosaic by the Spanish artist Joan Miró, and the driver escaped on foot. This graphic tracks the route of the van. What happened in Cambrils? Eight hours after the attack in Barcelona, the Catalan police confronted and killed five suspects in the seaside town of Cambrils. The authorities say they interrupted what would have been a larger attack. But the suspects, who had fake explosives strapped to their bodies, were able to drive their car into a crowd of people, killing one person and injuring six. A police officer was also hurt. Joaquim Forn, Catalonia’s interior minister, told a local radio station that the second event “follows the same trail,” adding: “There is a connection.” Who is suspected? The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the Barcelona attack, but the authorities have not yet confirmed the group’s involvement. The police arrested two men on Thursday, neither of whom is accused of driving the van. A Spaniard from the Spanish territory of Melilla in Morocco was arrested in Alcanar, where the police said they were investigating a possible link to what was initially believed to be a gas explosion there on Wednesday. The man was not identified. The second man, Driss Oukabar, a French citizen of Moroccan origin, turned himself in to the police in Ripoll, a city about 65 miles north of Barcelona. He claimed that his identity documents, discovered in the van used for the attack, had been stolen and that his brother was responsible, according to local news reports. The authorities were still searching for the driver of the van. They said they were looking for a man identified as Moussa Oukabir, who is either 17 or 18 years old; it was not clear if the police believe he was the driver. Moussa Oukabir appears to be the younger brother of Driss Oukabar. On Friday, the police announced the arrest of two more suspects in connection with the night’s attacks. No details about those suspects were released. Who are the victims? Details have only begun to emerge about the dead and injured, who the Spanish authorities said were from at least 34 countries. Twenty-six French were wounded, with 11 in serious condition, France’s foreign minister said. A Belgian was reported to have been killed, and Australia’s foreign minister said an Australian citizen was unaccounted for. The Chinese Consulate in Barcelona said a Hong Kong resident had been slightly injured. What We Don’t Know • The identity of the driver of the van in Barcelona, and the breadth of the conspiracy. • The extent of the Islamic State’s involvement. If involved, did the group order or merely inspire the attacks? • The names and nationalities of the victims. RELATED COVERAGE Third Suspect Detained After Attacks in Spain; Toll Rises to 14 Aug. 18, 2017 Van Hits Pedestrians in Deadly Barcelona Terror Attack Aug. 17, 2017 As Vehicle Attacks Rise, an Ordinary Object Becomes an Instrument of Fear Aug. 17, 2017 Get the full New York Times experience .